It’s done! The steek cutting went well, but Felted Tweed doesn’t steek as well as Lopi does. It’s too light and cobweb-y.
I’m really happy about the way it turned out, and the pattern for the sweater is incredible. It’s an amazing pattern for a generic cardigan, I could make this sweater over and over again, just changing the yoke patt to make it different from the last.
I’ve been knitting up a storm (for me, anyway), but I put the Sutton Hoo hat on the backburner because I found my husband’s missing hat from last year and my son doesn’t have a single knitted sweater that fits. I’m already nearly half-way through the Ryuu-ko sweater.
So 煤球 lost the hat I made him last year. I started to make him a new one in the exact same pattern, as his pickiness seemed to like it. Yesterday he informed me that he didn’t like the pattern I used for him last year, it was too tight around his head (I increased the width given in the patt) and not long enough (at nearly 45 cm?!). We were passing a shop that sells cheap stuff to tweens, he pointed to a long black and pink striped hat with ear flaps. I was really tempted to make him a Jayne Hat, as he would have no idea what he was wearing, which would be funny but also cruel. So I thought about ear flaps, and this image kept popping up in my head:
I won’t be making a balaclava, and it won’t really resemble the pic at all in the end, but the image is an anchor for me as I come up with a design for his pickiness’ hat. Do you ever use anchors when coming up with design/knitting?
Cityscape: sleeves, yoke, collar, all done!! I thought I’d post some pictures showing how I plan to cut the steek. I’ve never had a problem with steeking, but all my experience with steeks involves lopi, which is a very sticky wool yarn. Felted Tweed is part merino, alpaca, and rayon, and the knit fabric is very light, so long story short I don’t want to cut the steek until after the buttonbands are complete. The pictues below show the steek ready to be cut. I will cut the sweater along the orange yarn, gently pulling it out as I go. I sewed through the knit stitches on either side of the orange yarn, using yellow and blue. Once I cut the steek, I will sew the edges to the inside of the sweater, using sewing thread. Hopefully, I will have pictures of the completed cardie very soon!
It’s been my baby daughter’s turn at being sick, so I’ve been playing at baby velcro for the past few days. I haven’t gotten much of anything done, but I did take stock of our winter necessities. It looks like my husband lost his hat, so I’ll have 3 hats to make this season. Plus, my son needs a sweater so I’m making Ryuu-ko with some old Galway from my stash. I’m making a BSJ and a Tomten for my daughter with some Noro Kureyon from a sweater I frogged. I’m also still waiting on my Knitpicks order so that I can properly wash & block my Idlewood and take pictures to post here. Today I have no pictures, sorry, it seems that this post is more to keep me in the habit of posting rather than mesmerising you, dear reader, with fascinatingly bad photos documenting my attempts at knitting. My apologies.