Carbuncles pt. 2

Project: Linga
Pattern: Linga by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed DK, colour 157 Camel
Needles: 3.5 & 4.5 mm
Yardage: 41 g / 156 yards

IMG_0106

It’s fitting that I finished this hat right after my Shalder cardigan. I put this pattern in my queue at the same time that I put Shalder in my queue; I was fascinated by the carbuncle/diamond motifs used for dwarven objects in The Hobbit movie. I love how it turned out; I think it will be my main hat this winter even if there is an openwork / lace motif. I originally meant to make the hat and the cardigan as a matching set because of the carbuncle design feature, but they are knit at different tensions and knitting them in the same yarn would be boring. The carbuncle lacework shows up more clearly in lighter coloured yarn, too. Now if I could just finish an idea in less than a year, instead of the nearly three years this one took me to complete.

My Blue Carbuncle

Project: Shalder
Pattern: Shalder by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn: Cascade 220 Navy Blue
Needles: 4.5 mm

Completed 29 March 2015
Completed 29 March 2015

I love this sweater, the fit and especially the lace yoke. I originally chose this pattern way back when the first Hobbit movie was released. I loved all the dwarves’ costumes, and I noticed that there were a lot of geometric shapes. Shalder’s yoke pattern reminded me of that. It was in my queue since then, I only started working seriously on it this year. I think I had done about 7 cm of the body in 2013, I picked it up a little bit last summer but really got down to business this year. There’s a bit of a dye lot issue – one sleeve appears to be made from a different lot, so there is a bit of a colour line at the yoke, but it’s not too bad. I have no idea how it happened. I’ll put it down as some sort of punishment for letting projects linger for no good reason.

Simmer Dim

I made this pattern a few years ago with Socks that Rock Lightweight in Thraven. It is the only knitwear that I’ve made that I lost. I’m not even sure how I lost it, to be honest. But it really ate at me. So I decided to replace it, this one is made with Socks that Rock Mediumweight in Monroe Blutbad.  Super comfy, I love to wear it around the house and as a scarf when I go out. I don’t normally go in for variegated yarn, but since it is a Grimm colourway I had to try it. I really love the result, though I find it hard to photograph. I’ve since joined the Rockin’ Sock Club for this year and I’m going to make myself some mittens out of variegated yarn soon.
P1030194After Blocking

P1030192 Blocking with phone for size.

P1030187Right after cast off, no blocking.

Summer Round-Up

Simmer Dim knit with STR Lightweight in Thraven
Simmer Dim knit with STR Lightweight in Thraven

My plans to be a productive knitter during the summer months exploded in my face (yet again). The summers here are as hot as the winters are cold.  I love the cold and hate the heat. Once it hits 30 C, I am done; I just lie on the floor waiting for the heat to end.  I got off to a good start in June, with Nerd Wars to motivate me, but that is where the good times end.  I finished Simmer Dim in 2 weeks for a Nerd Wars challenge. I just love it. It’s going to get a lot of use this fall and winter. Then I made a Milo tunic for my daughter. I got it finished on time and thankfully it is knit top down because I ran out of yarn, so it is a short-sleeved sweater in the end.

I got more done in July than August, but I missed my deadlines and didn’t submit anything for Nerd Wars. I started the Pod of Cetaceans Cardigan, which is a great pattern, but I since I was working with a cotton blend yarn I didn’t entertain the idea of a steek for a second. I had no trouble modifying it for straight knitting and it was going really well, I’d reached the yoke when my deadline ran out, and the WIP has been sulking in a corner ever since. Same thing happened with my August WIP, I didn’t make the deadline and I’m too mad at myself to pick it up right now.

I should really be a responsible knitter and sit down and finish what I start. I went to do just that and then I stumbled upon the Sanagi dress pattern. I’ll just make a swatch to get it out of my system…