Project: Vanilla Tea
Pattern: Sweet Vanilla Tunic by Veera Valmaki
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts BFL Sport in Raspberry Moose and Blue Moon Fiber Arts STR Mediumweight in Monroe Blutbad
Needles: 3.75 mm and 2.5 mm
I love knitting with this yarn, it is so soft and light and airy. It’s pretty strong as well, I didn’t break any while knitting this tunic. I love the simplicity of this design, I know this something I will wear a lot.
I have been trying to knit Fjorgyn Jacket pattern for years, but I’ve never actually finished any of those projects. Until now. I am not very tall, so I haven’t ever followed the instructions for the body in all the iterations of this pattern I’ve knit. I started to make a slimmed down version of the jacket with the Rowanspun Chunky back in 2013 but I put it aside when I began to sense that I didn’t have enough yarn to finish it. But I loved the way the cables popped with the yarn. What to do. What to do.
I knit Idlewood back in 2011 using Blue Moon Fiber Arts Lucious Single Silk, and wanted another tunic.
And so Idlewood Fjorgyn was born. I simply placed the cable pattern from the Fjorgyn jacket in the middle of the tunic body, went a size up to account for the cables narrowing my fabric, and voila.
I really love how it turned out, and I love wearing it. The only problem I have is getting the cowl to fit inside my winter jacket when I zip it up. But spring is finally here so no worries.
So, I haven’t been making much progress on my knitting. Three out of four are nearly done. The pink yoke cardie just needs buttons and finishing. I can’t bring myself to finish them, I don’t think that they’ll turn out how I wanted. This is new for me, usually I’m super excited about a project until the first time I try it on after all the finishing is done and I start to see a million imperfections. Hopefully, I’ll have a bunch of FOs in the next few months. I like the purple mittens I recently cast-on, but the cable is a 24 row repeat so it is definitely not toddler friendly. They’ll be ready for next winter, at any rate. I’m using a cable chart from my Elsebeth Lavold viking knitting book and I’ll use the Glitten pattern for the thumb construction, without the cable chart. I just want one cable panel per mitten. The yarn is Dream in Colour Everlasting Sock, it’s really beautiful, and thankfully not nearly as splitty as I thought it would be when I first saw it up close. Happy new year and may all our knitting resolutions come to pass. 😇
As usual, I haven’t had the time to knit as much as I’d like, though Sanagi’s neverending stockinette is a pretty good fit with my schedule right now. I ran out of Sea Silk in the rainforest colourway (that I purchased in 2006 or 7), ordered a new skein, expecting dyelot issues. Handmaiden seems to have completely revamped rainforest, there is a lot more brown and beige in it now. I had some pink Sea Silk left over from my Haruni, and since I’m making Sanagi with 2 strands held together, I simply used one strand of pink with one strand of old rainforest for a couple of inches, let it become entirely pink for a bit then worked pink and new rainforest together until the pink ran out. I’m on the shoulder straps now, I might even finish before the new year.
I’ve finished my Cetaceans cardigan, (formerly unicorns, I couldn’t get it to fit nicely with the decreases, etc) I just have to sew on the buttons, weave in the ends and take pictures. I began some mitts for myself, with a thumb gusset. I’m kinda making them up as I go, since the only tricky part is the gusset, and it’s not terribly complicated. Or so I think. I haven’t even searched for gusset on YouTube so I could be terribly wrong.
It’s been my baby daughter’s turn at being sick, so I’ve been playing at baby velcro for the past few days. I haven’t gotten much of anything done, but I did take stock of our winter necessities. It looks like my husband lost his hat, so I’ll have 3 hats to make this season. Plus, my son needs a sweater so I’m making Ryuu-ko with some old Galway from my stash. I’m making a BSJ and a Tomten for my daughter with some Noro Kureyon from a sweater I frogged. I’m also still waiting on my Knitpicks order so that I can properly wash & block my Idlewood and take pictures to post here. Today I have no pictures, sorry, it seems that this post is more to keep me in the habit of posting rather than mesmerising you, dear reader, with fascinatingly bad photos documenting my attempts at knitting. My apologies.