So 煤球 lost the hat I made him last year. I started to make him a new one in the exact same pattern, as his pickiness seemed to like it. Yesterday he informed me that he didn’t like the pattern I used for him last year, it was too tight around his head (I increased the width given in the patt) and not long enough (at nearly 45 cm?!). We were passing a shop that sells cheap stuff to tweens, he pointed to a long black and pink striped hat with ear flaps. I was really tempted to make him a Jayne Hat, as he would have no idea what he was wearing, which would be funny but also cruel. So I thought about ear flaps, and this image kept popping up in my head:
I won’t be making a balaclava, and it won’t really resemble the pic at all in the end, but the image is an anchor for me as I come up with a design for his pickiness’ hat. Do you ever use anchors when coming up with design/knitting?
Cityscape: sleeves, yoke, collar, all done!! I thought I’d post some pictures showing how I plan to cut the steek. I’ve never had a problem with steeking, but all my experience with steeks involves lopi, which is a very sticky wool yarn. Felted Tweed is part merino, alpaca, and rayon, and the knit fabric is very light, so long story short I don’t want to cut the steek until after the buttonbands are complete. The pictues below show the steek ready to be cut. I will cut the sweater along the orange yarn, gently pulling it out as I go. I sewed through the knit stitches on either side of the orange yarn, using yellow and blue. Once I cut the steek, I will sew the edges to the inside of the sweater, using sewing thread. Hopefully, I will have pictures of the completed cardie very soon!
It’s been my baby daughter’s turn at being sick, so I’ve been playing at baby velcro for the past few days. I haven’t gotten much of anything done, but I did take stock of our winter necessities. It looks like my husband lost his hat, so I’ll have 3 hats to make this season. Plus, my son needs a sweater so I’m making Ryuu-ko with some old Galway from my stash. I’m making a BSJ and a Tomten for my daughter with some Noro Kureyon from a sweater I frogged. I’m also still waiting on my Knitpicks order so that I can properly wash & block my Idlewood and take pictures to post here. Today I have no pictures, sorry, it seems that this post is more to keep me in the habit of posting rather than mesmerising you, dear reader, with fascinatingly bad photos documenting my attempts at knitting. My apologies.
I spent all of yesterday driving the kids to and fro, buying groceries and fighting off the flu. I made it until supper time and thankfully my husband was not at work so he took over the cooking. I tried to take a nap in the bedroom but the laptop was there, and I was in a daze. I very quickly found myself on the Knitpicks website; I may have purchased blocking wires and woolwash. I’m pretty sure I stopped myself from buying the swift, which I do need but not enough to justify the looks I would get from my husband while I try to find a place to store it (in our very tiny) home. I will definitely need the blocking wires because I’m planning on making my first lace project (at long last) and who doesn’t need soap?
I have a ball winder but no swift. I can’t help but think my life would be easier with a swift. When I want something that I need to make my life easier I can usually find it on my credit card’s rewards site. Crock pots, vacuums, duvets … knitterly stuff won’t be making an appearance there any time soon. So I have to find a way to make purchasing a swift a very reasonable idea to someone who a) is very, very frugal and b) doesn’t understand the first thing about knitting. I sometimes get the impression that he thinks knitting may, in fact, be an alien artform, cunningly introduced to the human race in such a way as to (surreptitiously) enslave us all.
This summer, I came up with several design ideas and I’ve been mucking about looking for the best way to bring them to life. I’ll be starting on a sleeper for my 1-year-old, knit in a cotton/acrylic blend because the wool one I made last year was just too hot. We live in a modern building in an urban area, so knitting for the decrepit country houses I grew up in is just not practical. It will be a lilac-y pink, the long sleeves will be raglan and there will be a hood. I made a rough sketch of what I was planning, then cast-on. Once I’d knitted a teeny bit of it, and I came to the astute realisation that I should write the pattern out in full, for all sizes, knit one of the sizes, and correct the mistakes in the pattern as I go.